Thai Iced Tea or cha yen is one of the traditional drinks of Thai society. It is being a popular drink. We can found it available in street stalls or in restaurants over widely Thailand. We can make Thai iced tea from strongly black tea, some kind of spices and add some sugar to make it sweet. It spices ingredients such as cardamom, crushed tamarind, star anise and cinnamon. It is also added milk or coconut milk.
Star Anise provides the flavor of dramatic taste of the tea. Crush tamarind also makes it slight tangy taste. But actually, the base ingredients of Thai iced tea is star annise, condensed milk, sweet licorice and black tea. some other ingredients are use as optionally.
Two type of Thai iced tea
There are two types of Thai iced tea. Cha yen and cha dam yen. Cha dam yen is tea without adding ice in serving. While cha yen is serving in cold or ice tea. Originally, in Thailand sugar, condensed milk and tea will be mix together before it pours over the ice. It is also top up with evaporated milk.
Between the cha yen and cha dam yen, cha yen is the most popular. This two of Thai tea are part of the 50′s delicious drink in the culinary world. It’s no wonder because Thai iced tea have good taste that suit to some of much people in entire world. It is like perfect complement to hot or cold weather and spicy food.
Thai iced tea is simple and in a few minute it will ready to serve. Nowadays, we can make this ice tea instantly. It is serve in quick time if you have no much time to make that beverage. Instant Thai iced tea already sweetened with the condensed milk.
The spicy and floral aroma you can smell and taste in Thai iced tea. Now you can make it with instant or steep it by yourself. Here I write down the recipe that you can practice at home.
- 2 tbsp strong black tea
- 1 piece star anise
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. evaporated milk
- Crushed ice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cinnamon sticks (optional)
- 1/8 vanilla bean (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- Steep strong black tea and all spices in boiling water. Let them until five minutes.
- Strain the both of ingredients. Add one tbsp of sugar and one tbsp of sweetened condensed milk. Mixture it all.
- Pour crushed ice in two tall glasses.
- Pour the strained tea over the ice. Leaving one inch space at the top for the evaporated milk.
- Top up with drop of evaporated milk
- Serve immediately.